No Documentation of Financial Transactions Leads to More than $350,000 in Findings for Recovery Special Audit of the Legacy Academy for Leaders and the Arts Released
Carl Shye was treasurer of the Legacy Academy for Leaders and the Arts during the time period reviewed by a special audit released today by Auditor of State Dave Yost. Virtually no documentation of more than 100 financial transactions at the school led to a total of $352,062 in findings for recovery.
Read News Release
Former Alger Fiscal Officer Charged with Theft in Office Former Employee Hit with $37,853 in Findings for Recovery
Former village fiscal officer Jackie Prine stole $37,081 of public money from the Village of Alger according to a special audit released today by Auditor of State Dave Yost. Prine pled guilty this week in the Hardin County Common Pleas Court to collecting but not depositing utility payments over a five-year period.
Read News Release
In nearly every case, these criminals were brought to justice thanks to a tip from a concerned co-worker or private citizen who suspected fraud. In fact, nationwide statistics show that tips are the number-one source of information leading to convictions for fraud.
YOU CAN HELP. If you suspect fraud, waste or misuse of taxpayer funds, call the Auditor of State’s Fraud Hotline: 1-866-FRAUD OH (1-886-372-8364). Or send your tip by e-mail or a letter addressed to:
Ohio Auditor of State’s Office
Special Investigations Unit
88 E. Broad Street
Columbus OH 43215
We follow up on every tip
and you can remain anonymous.
What to include when reporting fraud?
- A detailed description of the suspected theft/fraud. Provide as much detail as possible, specify who, what, where, when and how.
- The agency where suspected fraud is taking place.
- Copies of all available documentation.
- Identify any witnesses who may have knowledge of the suspected theft/fraud. Include their contact information whenever possible.
- Although anonymous complaints are welcome, we encourage you to leave your contact information in case additional information or explanation is required.